12 January 2009

Typos

I've just reread the ms I submitted before Christmas for the first time since it was sent in. And not without some trepidation. Ideally I'd have liked a couple of weeks between typing The End and hitting the 'Send' button. But my editor said 'Just send it in and we'll take a look', so I did.

It varies a bit from the original synopsis, especially the last third, which I reckon is no bad thing. While I actually quite like it, the end (as suspected) does feel horribly rushed and quite a few other bits need tweaking too. But what really appals me is the number of typos. How did they happen? I went over and over it with what I thought was a fine toothcomb, so how did missing/extra spaces, doubled words, random apostrophes and occasional bizarre word order get there? Grrrrr.

In the meantime I've started on another story, sort of based on my Nano novel. Am quite looking forward to seeing where this one goes...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you shouldn't have looked :) But I know what you mean... I've had three CP-type people look over my mss and each time they find new typos! Those are easy to fix though... it's the massive plot things they find to improve that are scaring me.. if I had time, not a problem.

Anyway good luck with the new story.

Anonymous said...

No, I'm with Rach, best not to look. I'm not looking at mine until I hear back.

Did you proof from the hard copy? I find it much easier to pick up mistakes if I print the whole thing out.

Rushed ending? You should see mine! I'm sure I haven't put enough explanation in. It's mainly 'cause i hate writing endings. Anyway, I'm sure your editor will let you know how it reads.

A new story sounds great. Good luck with it. I love starting something new...

Anonymous said...

I know, I know :) I printed out the whole thing and proofed it a couple of times, and mistakes still slipped through. But as you say Rach, those are the little things. My ending lacks emotion, I think, which is kind of key...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about typos, Lucy. They fix those. When we're unpublished, we fixate on stuff like that -- but it truly isn't that big a deal (as long as it's not every single page, LOL).

As for the mss, mine didn't look anything at all like the synopsis when it was done. :) NOTHING like it, in fact. You'll be fine. Your editor will probably have revisions for you, but you can do them. And they may be minor!! Don't worry too much. :) It'll all work out, I swear. :)

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I meant that when we are unpublished, we focus on so many things because we aren't sure what's in our control and what isn't, why editors accept or reject manuscripts, etc. I didn't mean to suggest that being unpublished makes one clueless or dumb. When I reread it after submitting the comment, I realized I hadn't explained myself fully and that I was sounding like a know-it-all.

I was quite surprised to realize that my typos had no effect; not only that, but when I got my proofs, I was surprised that the CE had completely changed some of my wording in places.

But you will find these things out firsthand, I am positive!

Anonymous said...

Not at all Lynn! I know exactly what you mean. I wouldn't imagine that an editor would reject a novel if everything was great except a couple of typos! It's just easier to obsess about things you know you can correct, I guess...